Thursday, January 23, 2014

Blog #2 Three Topics

There are multiple topics circulating around the nation and locally at this time. In order to have a variety of topics, I want to choose two topics that are not as common and one topic that is heavily debated. This will help broaden my topic span, while if needed default to one that is comfortable for me.

The first topic I would like to tackle or potentially tackle would be the topic of the same-sex marriage ban. This topic is relevant to me, primarily due to myself being a part of the LGBT community. While that would state I have strong bias, I can contemplate the sides of both parties and offer a bit of justification to my point of view from prior knowledge before I even conduct research, along with a first-hand experience in my affiliation with UK’s, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), I am able to recount other’s stories, views, etc. as long as I get the written permission or an interview with them. I find that would be an interesting topic for me.

My second topic would be that of the age limit to drinking in the United States. Yes, it has been debated and there are strong opinions on this. My argument wouldn’t necessarily be for or against but state the evidence and see which side proposes the strongest evidence. This would help myself determine my position. It is interesting that we, as Americans, are able to be considered legal emancipated adults at the age of eighteen, but we are unable to drink until we are twenty-one. Would this be disastrous to lower the age restriction?


My third topic would be technology in school and Universities. I have recently been informed multiple times and in multiple classes already this semester that technology is dulling the mind and the “multitasking” is casing a lack of focus. Is it? If it is, this most certainly would impact lower and more localized schools that are implementing the usage of technology in their student’s everyday lives. How would it change the system of the modern age to revert back to pencil and paper as opposed to screens and handhelds? 

1 comment:

  1. These are all great topics, Matthew. I could see you tackling any of these with a fresh insight. I'm usually one for following individual passions, so the same-sex marriage ban would be fantastic to tackle as you have a personal stake in it. I think the GSA would be happy to have someone represent their views with such care and integrity, and that would make a fantastic local stakeholder, where you could have access to a ton of primary research. My only word of caution would be to make sure you're comfortable revealing this piece of yourself in the classroom. I'm an advocate for it, and promise you that our classroom will be a comfortable and mature environment for these discussions, but some people prefer not to bring their personal lives into the classroom or wouldn't be comfortable speaking about it (because public speaking is hard enough!). So it's just something I want you to consider.

    For the drinking age, you're absolutely right that it's something that has been hotly debated for a long time. There are interesting arguments about it, but I would love to see a fresh take on this old debate. There is a lot of material documenting the fact that 18 year olds can vote and fight for their country, but not drink. So instead, you might focus on what would happen if this were actually implemented, or something even closer to home--what kind of message this would send about the purpose of college (as a lot of people think that's what college is about)? Think about what kind of new spin we can provide here to make the argument unique.

    You're absolutely right about technology too--it's really on the minds of society, especially educators. Some public schools are attempting to rearrange funding to provide tablets in high schools, middle schools, and even elementary schools--and it will be years before we really can study the effects of this. Your final question is one that plagues many minds--would it be a move backward or "forward"? I'd be curious to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete